How Can I File For Child Custody of My Child? 

When it comes to child custody, there are a number of factors to consider. In general, the court is interested in stability in custody arrangements, as well as how well a parent is able to care for a child. It also considers the merits of each parent’s lifestyle and the needs of the child. 

(Looking for Stephanie DeBoer Missoula MT? Contact us Today!)

In most cases, you will need the help of an attorney to file a valid child custody case. An experienced lawyer will know the ins and outs of the family court system in your state and can provide you with the legal advice you need to make your case a winning one. If you are unsure whether you should hire an attorney, contact a local legal aid organization for free legal assistance. 

To file a claim in a court of law, you will need to serve the other party with court papers. For example, you might want to have a sheriff or private process server deliver the forms. Alternatively, you can use an online service. Some states have simplified the process and allow you to print out the forms right from your computer. 

In any case, the court will not issue a custody order without some kind of change in the living situation of the children involved. The best way to achieve this is to provide evidence that the other parent has been found guilty of a crime that has affected the welfare of the children. You can also prove that you have a legitimate reason for asking for a modification or restraining order. 

This can be a daunting task for unmarried parents. They may even have to prove they were present at the birth of the child. However, the court is likely to be impressed by your good intentions, as long as they are not abusive. 

Another thing to do to get the ball rolling is to research your state’s rules on service and filing. Most courts require a fee to begin a custody case. These fees vary widely, but they are usually several hundred dollars. Once you have your paperwork, you can turn it in at the clerk’s office. Depending on your case, you may be eligible for a fee waiver. 

Finally, don’t forget to prepare for your hearing. This includes collecting documents to prove your innocence, and creating a parenting plan. A good parenting plan will allow you to establish a schedule of when the child will visit each parent. Assuming both parties agree, the court will make the final decision regarding the residence of the child until the child reaches age 18. 

Hopefully, the above information will be a helpful guide to achieving your goals. You can find more information on family law in your state by contacting your local courthouse. Additionally, you may find that the court has free or low cost services for low-income families. Many states also have websites that have legal forms you can download and fill out.