How can you assess a lawyer’s track record and experience in handling divorce cases?
If you’re looking for a divorce lawyer to represent you in your divorce case, one of the most important factors to consider is their track record and experience in handling similar cases. Here are some tips on how to assess a lawyer’s experience and track record in handling divorce cases:
(Looking for a “Marriage equality progress attorney“? Contact us today!)
- Look at their website and online presence: Many lawyers have websites that provide information about their experience and track record. Look for information about their years of practice, types of cases they handle, and testimonials from past clients. You can also check review sites like Avvo, Martindale-Hubbell, and Google My Business to see what others have said about their experiences with the lawyer.
- Ask for referrals: If you know someone who has been through a divorce, ask them if they used a lawyer and if they would recommend them. You can also ask other lawyers you may know for a referral to a divorce lawyer.
- Check their credentials: Look for lawyers who are board-certified in family law, as this indicates that they have met rigorous standards for experience, education, and testing in this area of law. You can also check to see if they are members of professional organizations such as the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers or state bar associations.
- Inquire about their experience with your specific case: Ask the lawyer about their experience handling cases similar to yours. If your case involves complex financial issues or child custody disputes, ask if they have experience in these areas.
- Check their litigation experience: While many divorce cases are settled out of court, it’s important to choose a lawyer with litigation experience in case your case goes to trial. Ask the lawyer about their trial experience and success rate.
- Consider their communication style: You’ll be working closely with your divorce lawyer throughout the process, so it’s important to choose someone who communicates clearly and effectively with you. During your initial consultation, pay attention to how they listen to you, answer your questions, and explain the process.
- Look for a lawyer who offers a free consultation: Many divorce lawyers offer a free initial consultation, which can give you an opportunity to ask questions and get a sense of whether the lawyer is a good fit for you.
In conclusion, choosing a divorce lawyer is an important decision that requires careful consideration. By taking the time to assess a lawyer’s experience and track record, you can choose a lawyer who has the knowledge, skills, and experience to effectively represent you in your divorce case.