How Do I File For Child Custody? 

If you are getting a divorce, you may want to know how to file for child custody. In California, the law is that a court will not deny you rights to custody or visitation unless there are “extraordinary circumstances.” Generally, the best way to get custody of your child is to file a complaint for custody. A judge will review the facts of your case and decide what is in the best interest of the children involved. The judge will then make a decision within 24 hours. 

(Looking for Divorce Legal Service Missoula? Contact us Today!)

There are many forms that you can use to file a complaint. Each county has its own rules and procedures for filing. Check with the clerk’s office for details. You may also be able to use a legal aid organization to help. These organizations will provide free legal advice and representation. 

The first step in filing for child custody is to serve the other parent with court forms. Depending on the state, you may need to provide copies of the paperwork to the other parent before you can move forward. Some states will allow you to mail these papers to the other parent. Be sure to send the papers with a return receipt. 

For more information about a family law case, you can check out the Case Information Portal. Most counties will have a link to this resource on their website. It is also a good idea to contact a local bar association for more information. They can help you with any questions you have about a particular case. 

Another way to file for child custody is to hire a lawyer. However, some counties will not allow you to file a complaint for custody without a lawyer. Other options include a self-help center or family law facilitator. 

Besides a lawyers fees, you may be surprised at how much child custody documentation you will need to produce. This is why it’s important to do your homework and to keep track of all the contacts you have with your children. When you are ready to go to court, you will need to provide proof of service and attend the hearing. Also, the best thing to do is to prepare an honest, upfront response to the other parent’s papers. Keep in mind that you can have a lot of emotional issues to deal with if you are trying to settle your case. 

It’s also a good idea to keep an eye out for a “fee-waiver” packet that you can complete and bring with you to your hearing. Fees are usually several hundred dollars, and in some cases, they can be waived. 

While you’re waiting for the other parent to respond, you can ask the judge to make a formal order. He or she can give you a written order that contains some of the basics of the case, such as what type of parenting plan to follow. 

Finally, you will need to file the divorce papers, including any required financial statements. Depending on the state you are in, you may have to pay a filing fee.