How Do I File For Custody of a Child? 

If you are considering filing for custody of a child, you should know that the process can be complicated. There are several steps you must take and a lot of paperwork to sift through. You can represent yourself or hire an attorney. However, it is important to do your homework and stick to the facts. 

(Searching in Google “MT divorce attorney“? Contact us today!)

A Complaint for Custody is the logical starting point for any parent looking to establish legal custody of their children. This petition will ask the court to grant you the right to make decisions concerning your child’s well-being. It will also inform the judge of your parental status and the reasons for seeking custody of your child. The judge will take into account your current lifestyle and any other factors that may impact your ability to care for your child. 

A Motion for Temporary Orders is another way to obtain temporary custody of your children. This request can be filed with the clerk of the court in the county where your child has resided for at least six months. The judge will then consider your application and make a ruling on whether you can receive custody of your children. If you can’t afford an attorney, you can opt to have the court appoint one. 

You can find all the necessary forms and information online. You might also consider taking advantage of legal aid offices that offer free legal advice and representation. You can also print the forms you need from your home computer. 

There are also a variety of tools to help you in the pursuit of a better future for your children. Among these is the child support guidelines worksheet. This document can be used to dispute the rules regarding how much money your ex-spouse is required to pay you. It can also be used to challenge a parent education program. 

It is not uncommon for the judge to award sole custody of your child to the person who can show that it is in your best interest to have that particular custody arrangement. In order to make your case, you should have clear and convincing proof. If you are unable to secure that proof, the court may order you to go back to your former state. Generally speaking, the court is likely to keep you there until a new order arrives. 

The court can also appoint a guardian ad litem to advocate for your child. This individual will advise the court on how best to handle the case. You should also consider the services of a professional if you have concerns about your child’s well-being or if you are in need of a lawyer for any reason. 

The best way to get a handle on the process is to have a lawyer review your papers before you proceed. You may even be able to apply for a fee waiver. 

You should also look into mediation. A mediator can be a less costly and more collaborative way of settling your case. The courts have been known to award default judgments in some cases. In other instances, the parties may need to attend a court hearing. During this time, the judge will determine which of the parties are best able to take care of the kids.