How Long to Respond to a Motion in Family Law Case 

During a family law case, every motion must state the legal authority, facts, and grounds supporting the requested relief. The opposing party is given ten (10) days to respond to a motion. Although the timelines for different courts vary, the general rule is that a party has ten days to respond to a motion. That period is extended by intermediate weekends and court holidays, plus five additional days for mailing. If no response is received within this period, the motion may be considered uncontested.

(Looking for Divorce Lawyers in Missoula? Contact us today!)

Objection to a motion to modify custody, visitation, and child support 

An objection to a motion to modify custody, visitations, and child support in a family law case is a document filed by one party against another’s request. This document is much simpler than a petition for a modification. The party requesting the change files a motion and serves the other party. If the other party does not object to the proposed change within 21 days, the recommended order becomes the final order. 

The opposing party can use an objection to set aside a default or decree. The other party can use this to challenge a child support order. If the other party is claiming that the parent is violating a court order, the opposition can be based on the same legal grounds. If the opposing party argues that the other party is not acting in the best interest of the children, the opposition can be a legitimate legal response. 

Serving discovery in a family law case 

When filing a motion in family court, the opposing party has ten (10) days to file a response to the motion, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays. This time frame may vary based on your particular case, so always check the instructions of the court’s form before submitting a response. If you do not file a response, your case will be considered uncontested. 

A party to a lawsuit must file a written response to the motion. The response must be in writing and must be filed with the court within the specified period. The time limit is usually 15 days, although it may be longer if served by mail. In either case, the opposing party must file a response. The court will then determine whether or not the response should be granted or denied or set for an oral argument. 

Opposition to a motion to set aside a default, decree, or order 

When filing an opposition to a motion to set aside a decree, order, or default in a family law case, you must specify which type of order you are opposing. For financial orders, for example, you must file a financial order opposition form. You must attach three recent pay stubs for evidence. Your brief should also state whether you must pay a filing fee. 

The process to set aside an order is complex, and judges are only allowed to do so under limited circumstances. It is important to explain to the judge the law and the reason for setting aside the order. If you don’t understand this step, you may miss a crucial deadline and have your case dismissed. In either case, you will want to follow the instructions provided in your opposing motion. 

Getting a continuance in a family law case 

Getting a continuance in a courtroom can be beneficial or detrimental to your case, and a motion for a continuance must be properly handled to ensure that you have adequate time to prepare for the trial. In family law cases, the time for trial is typically much slower than the time needed to raise a child. Likewise, in absentia cases, a party may not be able to testify in person. 

A party requesting a continuance must demonstrate that they have diligently pursued discovery, interviewed witnesses, and tested forensic evidence. They must also be conscientious in obtaining counsel and alert the court to any problems they are experiencing with their current counsel. Diligence is a general rule, and the court will have to decide the precise definition, depending on the facts and circumstances of the case.