How to Change the Custody of a Child?

If you and the other parent disagree on the custody of your child, you may decide to petition the court for a modification. A court will only change the custody and placement of a child when the changes are in the child’s best interest. Often, the court will hold a hearing and allow the parents to present evidence of a substantial change in the circumstances. The judge will determine the next steps and issue an order. 

(Searching for “law firms Missoula MT“? Visit our website!)

Changing a custody agreement can be challenging. Especially if you are sharing custody with the other parent. However, if you and the other parent agree, the process is quite simple. The main thing you need to do is file an agreement with the court. This will make it easier for the court to enforce the agreement. 

To file an agreement, you must fill out a variety of forms. These are called affidavits. They must be signed and notarized. You must also pay a court filing fee. If you cannot afford the fee, you may qualify for a fee waiver. 

A change in custody can be based on many different factors. It can be due to a new job, a move, or a new school. Sometimes, it can be a result of mental health problems or developmental issues. If you are having difficulty caring for your child, a change in custody could be in your best interest. 

A court hearing is required when you are seeking to modify a child custody order. A family court will decide if the proposed change is in your child’s best interest. If it is, the judge will typically agree to the change. The hearing is not always quick, and you may need to attend a trial. Depending on the complexity of the case, the process may take anywhere from nine to twelve months. 

It is important to remember that the courts will consider a variety of factors when determining whether the proposed change is in your child’s interests. For example, a change in child custody is appropriate if the change is in the best interest of the child, if the change is beneficial, or if the change is needed to protect the child from an unsafe situation. 

If the other party is unwilling to agree, you can ask the court to hold the other parent in contempt. This can be done to enforce a court-ordered parenting plan or a previous agreement. You may also ask the court to terminate the parent-child relationship, which can be used to end an obligation to pay child support. If you are not sure what to do, you can seek the advice of a lawyer. 

A parent may also be able to get a modification if the other parent has violated the custody agreement. For example, if the other parent has been intoxicated during parenting time, the parent is presumed to be unfit to care for the child. 

A court can also change the custody of a child if it finds that the child is at risk of abuse or neglect. For example, if the other parent remarries an abusive partner, or if the child’s living arrangements are harmful to the child, the court will change the custody order.