Change Jurisdiction For Child Custody 

Changing jurisdiction for child custody is an important task for unmarried couples with children. When two parties are undergoing a divorce, one or both may wish to relocate to a nearby city or state. It may be difficult for an unmarried couple to move their children legally, but the law may allow it to happen. You may need to hire an attorney to help you navigate the process, so it’s important to consult with a qualified professional. If you want to move your kids from California to Texas, or from New York to Florida, the law governing child custody in your home state may prevent you from doing so. 

(Searching for “Stephanie DeBoer Family Lawyer“? Visit our website!)

One of the first steps in changing jurisdiction for child custody is to determine whether your state has the proper jurisdiction. There are several ways to determine this. The most obvious is the home state of your children. Your state is probably your best bet if you have lived in the state for at least six months. You can also check out which states have the most favorable child custody laws. The UCCJEA, or Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, was enacted to promote uniformity in child custody decisions. This law is followed by the rest of the states, except Massachusetts. 

Another way to change child custody jurisdiction is to move your kids to a different county. This may be necessary if you’re moving to a more convenient location, or if your kids’ other parent is unwilling to comply with your wishes. In either case, you’ll need to hire an attorney to ensure that the change is effective. If you’re planning to move, you’ll need to file a motion with the court to transfer jurisdiction. You’ll also need to pay a filing fee to transfer your jurisdiction. 

You’ll need to know if you’re moving to a state with a better climate, if you’ll have a better job, or if the cost of living is more reasonable. It’s not uncommon for military families to live in several different towns over the course of years. Likewise, it’s not unusual for an unmarried couple to live in two or more states before deciding to settle down. If you’re moving to a new city or state, you’ll need to consult an attorney to make sure that your move is done legally and with your child’s best interests in mind. 

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act, or UCCJEA, is a good place to start if you’re looking to change jurisdiction for child custody. It’s a complicated piece of legislation, but it does offer a handful of useful tools. In particular, it provides a hierarchy of laws determining which states have the authority to make a custody decision. It also offers a slew of tools to help make the process go more smoothly. 

The most important thing to know is that you have to be aware that the UCCJEA does not cover every aspect of a child custody case. It’s important to get legal advice from an experienced family law attorney if you’re considering moving.