How to File Custody of Your Child?

If you and your partner are no longer living together, or if you are getting a divorce, you may need to file for custody of your child. Custody of children is a legal responsibility that can be assigned to either or both parents, and it relates to where the child lives as well as how the parent makes decisions about their education, health care, and other important matters. 

(Looking for Family Law Divorce Lawyer? Contac us today!)

In order to file for custody, you will need to gather and organize as many documents as possible that prove that a child is in need of your care. This can include a medical report, a home visit report, a police report, a letter from a teacher, and more. 

Once you have your paperwork ready, you will need to file them with the court. This means completing the forms and paying a filing fee. This fee can be as high as several hundred dollars. 

Your filing should also include an affidavit of service that notifies the other party of the case. This should be signed in front of a notary public and filed with the court. 

The other party can challenge your petition, but must file a response to it within 30 days. If the other party fails to respond, your case can be thrown out of court and you will lose any right to a hearing or to file any new papers in your case. 

A judge will consider many different factors when making a decision about custody. These can include the physical and emotional health of all parties involved, their ability to communicate, any special needs a child might have (e.g., allergies, special medical conditions), and the preferences of the child. 

For example, if a parent is prone to violence and abuse, that might be considered a factor that could change the judge’s mind. If you have a good argument, the judge will usually look at it closely and make a decision that is in the best interest of your child. 

Once a judge has made a decision, you and the other parent can appeal it to a higher court if you are not happy with it. This can be a lengthy process and you should consult with an attorney who is familiar with this area before you do so. 

Keep in mind that a court can order you to attend parenting classes or other educational programs. These are a good way to learn how to communicate better with your child, as well as to understand the law on custody and visitation. 

If you have questions about custody, contact a legal clinic or the family law section of your local bar association. These organizations often provide free legal services to low-income people. 

The next step is to serve the other parent with your papers. This can be done by a private or public process server. This person can be a friend or family member, but it must be done in a manner that is acceptable to the court.