How to File for Custody of a Child in Family Court?

In the family court, you must file a form to request custody of a child. There are two types of cases: contested and uncontested. A contested case is when the two parents disagree on certain terms. In both types of cases, you must type the form in black ink on both sides. You must also list your contact information if you are self-representing. The family court form you will need is the General Form-17. It includes Articles 4 and 6 of the Family Code. The parties are called the petitioner and respondent.

(Looking for a divorce lawyer free consultation? Visit us today!)

Legal father 

The first step in determining paternity is to file the appropriate paperwork with the court. A parent can do this in a variety of ways. For example, they can establish paternity through a voluntary process such as the Department of Health Services’ hospital paternity program, or by filing a formal paternity suit. Either way, the next step is to file the specific request for paternity with the Superior Court. 

Legal mother 

A parent who has a child from a previous relationship may ask a court to grant them custody of the child. The person filing for custody does not need to be the child’s parent, but he or she must have a significant role in the child’s life. Typically, a Judge will grant custody if he or she believes it is in the child’s best interest. 

Legal step-parent 

Step-parents are considered a valuable financial and emotional resource for children. In some cases, the court places a child with a step-parent after the other parent has neglected the child. However, this placement is not permanent and guardianship can change in between court appearances. If a step-parent wants to have a more significant role in the child’s life, they should consider applying for guardianship. However, it is important to remember that guardianship only takes effect after all other parties have consented. 

Legal guardian 

If you are a parent seeking custody of a child, you need to understand how the court system works. First, you must attend an initial court conference, which may be handled by someone other than a judge, such as a commissioner or a magistrate. The court may also appoint a separate lawyer or a guardianship ad litem to advocate for the child. 

Parenting plan 

If you are getting divorced and want to know how to file for custody of a child, there are many different forms that you need to fill out. You should consult a lawyer if you have any questions. You must also fill out a parenting plan, which is an important part of a divorce. You can find these forms at a local courthouse or use an online service. 


Using mediation is a great way to try to reach a mutual agreement. It can be stressful, so it is important to stay calm and prepared. You and your spouse may have different opinions about what is best for the children, so you’ll want to keep an open mind and be prepared for any questions. You’ll also want to write down any concerns or questions you have for the mediator.