How to Get Temporary Custody of a Child That Is Not Yours? 

Getting temporary custody of a child that is not yours can be difficult, but it can be done in some cases. You should seek legal advice before you try to get custody of a child that is not yours and try to avoid going to court until you have a good idea of what the process will look like. 

(Searching for “law firms Missoula MT“? Visit our website!)

You can ask the court for a temporary order of custody if you are not the biological parent of a child, or if you are the child’s aunt or uncle. The court will consider your circumstances and decide if it is in the best interests of the child to grant you custody. 

There are many different situations in which you can ask for a temporary order of custody, and some of them are below. If the court agrees to grant you temporary custody, you may need to prove that it is in the child’s best interests for you to have custody of them. 

What Can I Do If My Custody Is Not Being Followed?

If you have a custody order that is not being followed, you can ask the court to enforce it. This could mean contacting police and filing a contempt of court case against the other parent. You may also need to keep detailed records of any violations you find, as well as what you did to try to correct them. 

You will need to present evidence at your hearing for custody, and you will need to make sure you are prepared to testify. You should also prepare yourself for any questions that the judge might ask you during your hearing. 

Be sure to answer the judge’s questions clearly and firmly. If you are nervous about speaking, take a couple deep breaths before answering and remember that the judge is there to help you, not hurt your chances of winning the custody battle. 

During the hearing, you will likely need to show that you have been a regular caregiver for the child and that your involvement has helped the child. You can show this by providing documentation of your past relationship with the child and other evidence. 

Your lawyer will also want to show the judge that your presence with the child has improved their quality of life. You will need to explain how this has benefited the child, such as helping them develop their independence and social skills. 

If the other parent is unwilling to agree to visitation, you can file for a custody modification with the court. This would change the current arrangement and allow you to have more time with your child. 

The courts will often give you a temporary order of custody when they believe it is in your child’s best interest to have you involved in their lives. These orders can be issued for up to six months and are designed to provide stability for the child while you wait for your court to make a permanent order of custody.