How to Serve Child Custody Papers?

There are a variety of ways that parents may serve child custody papers. The most common is by hand delivery. However, the court can order other methods of service as well. 

(Searching in Google “need a divorce attorney“? Contact us today!)

When it comes to serving a child custody case, you must be very careful to follow the rules. If you are unsure of what the requirements are, it may be a good idea to contact a lawyer or family law facilitator. A legal professional can review your paperwork and ensure that it is suited to court requirements. 

Once the other parent has been served with the petition, they will have the chance to respond. If they deny the request, they will receive a summons. The summons will tell them where to appear for their first court hearing. 

You will also need to submit proof that you have served the other parent with the forms. Your documents should be served by a qualified process server. A qualified professional will help you ensure the best possible outcome for your child custody case. 

Another way that you can serve papers is through substitute service. This is when you deliver a summons to a person’s business. Alternatively, you can use social media and email to deliver the documents. The main purpose is to make sure that the other parent is aware of your case. 

Typically, you will have a 120-day window to serve the other parent. If you are having trouble finding the other parent, you can ask for an extension. You should also call to check on the progress of the process. If it has been longer than expected, you might want to hire a legal aid office. 

If you cannot find the other parent, you will need to submit an order to the judge. This order can include other methods of service, but you will need to provide the court with a reason why you were unable to serve the other parent. If you choose to file your own declaration, be sure to give the judge plenty of time to review it. 

If you have a case in the Family Court of New York, you will have the option to serve the other parent by mail. This type of service is a great choice if the other parent is living out of state. You can mail the papers to the person’s last known address or to their place of business. If the other parent is not located, the other option is to serve them personally. 

If you are using a private process server, you will need to complete an affidavit of service. This document must be signed in front of a notary. 

Depending on the judge, you may be able to serve the other parent by phone. You can also send the papers through Facebook or by texting. Some judges allow you to serve papers through an email. 

You should serve the other parent in the same manner as you would serve the other parent who has filed a complaint. You can refer to the other parent as “the other party.” You can also refer to them as “the plaintiff” or “the defendant.” If you are confused, you can use templates to help you create your own response.