How to Sign Over Custody of a Child 

You can create a written custody agreement to transfer custody of your child. It should be more detailed than the verbal agreement, and it should state the type of custody and visitation schedule you want. It should also specify holidays, birthdays, and vacation time. Then, take it to a notary and have them witness your signatures. Finally, the document should be submitted to the court for approval.

(Searching in Google for “good divorce lawyer near me“? Visit us today!)

Parental rights are terminated in the judicial process 

When a parent signs over custody of a child, their parental rights are terminated in the judicial process. This is a serious matter and courts do not take such decisions lightly. The courts must carefully consider the best interest of the child and will terminate parental rights only when there are clear and convincing evidences that the parent is a risk to the child. 

You will not be notified of legal proceedings 

Signing over your parental rights is a legal act that removes your legal claim to your child. This means that you will no longer have any say in decisions about your child, including visitation and custody. As such, you will no longer be notified of any legal proceedings. 

You can sign over custody of a child without a lawyer 

In some circumstances, parents can choose to sign over custody of their children without the help of a lawyer. However, custody transfer should be done with caution. It requires the approval of the court and the agreement of the other parent and guardian. It can be risky to do without the help of a lawyer, especially if one parent changes their mind later. 

You can sign over custody of a child temporarily 

If you and your ex-spouse have decided that you no longer want to share your children, you can sign over custody of your children temporarily. However, this form should not be used to alter your parentage rights or financial support. It is a simple form that allows you to give temporary guardianship to another person. When you sign the form, you should make sure that you do so in front of a notary. 

You can sign over custody of a child with an existing custody order 

If you are getting divorced and you want to take custody of a child, you should file the proper paperwork to get the custody of the child. You will need to file a petition for temporary custody, along with an affidavit and a motion for interim orders. You can find these forms online or at a legal aid office.