How to Take Custody of a Child?

If you want to gain custody of a child, you must know how to proceed. A child custody case can take months and several court appearances. It is important to remain patient and trust the judge’s decision. In case of a negative outcome, you can appeal the decision. A lawyer can help you with this process. 

(Looking for a family law attorney free consultation? Contact us today!)

Children’s preferences 

In the early stages of a divorce, many courts base their decisions on written affidavits or declarations from the children. Although these documents allow the child to express their preferences, these documents do not help the judge determine whether the child is mature, capable, or has a well-reasoned preference. 

It is critical to understand the child’s preferences. Sometimes, their preferences are not based on the child’s best interests but on the preferences of one parent over the other. This can result in a custody arrangement that is not in the child’s best interests. 

Legal considerations 

There are many legal considerations when taking custody of a child. Custody laws vary greatly from state to state, and the court will often look at the relationship between the parents as well as the child’s needs. The primary caregiver of a young child will typically get custody. A parent who can provide stability in the child’s educational, religious, and neighborhood life will likely get custody. 

The best interest of the child will be the deciding factor in sole or physical custody cases. New York courts will look at how each parent can meet the child’s needs and desires. For example, the courts may prefer to keep siblings together, so they might not award custody to a parent who has half-siblings. In addition, courts will look at the behavior of parents in court. If one parent is encouraging the other parent to be the primary caregiver, the court may award custody to that parent. 

Taking custody without a lawyer 

When it comes to custody battles, parents have the upper hand. However, sometimes the situation requires the assistance of an outsider. A non-parent may make a successful argument to obtain custody of a child. However, there are a number of things you should know before you make such a case. 

First, you must research the laws of your state. Each state has different child custody laws. You can find them at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This research may take time, but it will help you present yourself well. Once you know the laws of your state, you can file a petition. Typically, the process for filing a petition is similar in most states. 

Joint physical custody vs. sole physical custody 

If one parent has sole physical custody of a child, the other gets the right to spend time with the child on a regular schedule. This time is known as visitation or parenting time. A common arrangement is for one parent to live with the child in the family home while the other parent visits the child on a regular basis. The parent with sole physical custody is referred to as the custodial parent, and the other parent is referred to as the noncustodial parent. 

The court will determine the custody arrangement based on various factors. For example, sole physical custody is usually granted when the parents live more than 100 miles apart or if one parent has neglected or abused the child. The judge may also consider a number of other factors when making a decision. 

Getting an order for Voluntary Transfer of Custody 

Getting an order for voluntary transfer of custody is a court process that allows parents to transfer legal custody of their child to another responsible adult. In many cases, the voluntary transfer is necessary to make sure the child is receiving the care and treatment they need. The process can also be necessary if one parent has been absent from the child for a long time. Sometimes, DCFS will request this transfer. 

The process can be done without a lawyer. The court will generally accept a written agreement between the parents. However, parents should know that it is possible for one parent to attempt to change their minds and transfer custody to someone else. In such cases, a parent may benefit from the services of an independent attorney.