How to Transfer a Family Law Case to Another County 

If your current family law case is located in another county, it is possible to change the venue of your family law case by submitting a request to the court for a change of venue. The requirements and the procedure for this process are described in this article. If you are unsure of whether this option is right for you, please contact an attorney to learn more about the process. Once you receive approval from the court, you can file your case in your new county.

(Family Law Missoula Attorneys at S. DeBoer Attorney at Law are committed to helping you face your family legal matters with expert legal assistance.)

Change of venue 

The rules surrounding the change of venue in family law cases vary significantly from state to state. In New York, for example, the vast majority of attorneys create their forms. Notices of appearance and real estate sale contracts are often drafted from scratch. Western courts, on the other hand, rely heavily on forms. However, even using the “correct” forms doesn’t ensure that the court will grant a change of venue. The Order of Custody sets forth the rules regarding relocation. 

If you are in a situation where you don’t want the trial in your hometown, you may want to consider changing the venue. Sometimes, a famous case in one county may be famous in another. In these cases, a change of venue could help improve the chances of having unbiased jurors. However, it is important to keep in mind that each state and federal jurisdiction has its own rules regarding venue. To ensure that the right court is selected for your case, it’s best to consult an attorney. 


When you and your spouse have separated and are trying to find a new place to live, you may be considering transferring your case to another county. While going to court is a major hassle, it can also be stressful. Transferring your case can be a good option if you think it will make things easier. There are several requirements to follow when you want your case to be transferred, though. 

The court will schedule a hearing date for both parties to discuss the transfer. Once the parties have agreed to the transfer, the judge will issue a transfer order. Then, the parties must pay a new first appearance court filing fee. In some cases, the judge may be willing to transfer the case for a good cause. In other cases, the court will simply transfer the case if the original court ruled that it has no jurisdiction in the new county. 

Changing circumstances 

A court may consider transferring a family law case if certain circumstances are changed. For example, a child may move out of state and move into a new county. There is still time to appeal the decision. If the original judge is not satisfied with the outcome of your case, you can always transfer it. If you are considering transferring your case, you should understand the process before you apply. 

If you are planning on transferring your family law case, make sure you contact an Orange County law firm. The county where your case was originally filed retains jurisdiction. The judge in your new county will need to request the transfer. Otherwise, the case will stay in its original county. If you do not do this, the judge will probably have to request the transfer. If the court grants the request, the case will remain in the original county. 

Filing in another county 

If you’re in the middle of a divorce, child custody battle, or other family law matter and have recently moved to a new county, you may be wondering: How do I transfer my case to another county? The answer is not as straightforward as it sounds, but it is possible. Just follow these steps to transfer your case. Before you file for a change of venue, you should know what you can expect. 

If the parties to your case agree to transfer the case to a different county, you should contact a knowledgeable Orange County family law attorney. He or she can guide you through the process and make sure that everything is in order. In some counties, a transfer is automatic. In other counties, you can file a motion to change the venue of your case. In this case, the opposing party will have the opportunity to respond to your motion.