What Does Contempt of Court Mean in Children’s Custody? 

In family law, contempt of court is a serious charge that can be brought against anyone who fails to comply with the terms of a court order. These orders are a form of legal judgment, and the person who violates them could face serious consequences like fines, jail time, or both. 

(Looking for local lawyer child custody? Contact us today!)

The first thing a judge should look at when holding someone in contempt is whether or not the person is aware that the court has ordered them to do something. This is a very important factor in the case of a custody or visitation dispute because it means that the person knew the court had made a clear and unequivocal mandate for him to follow. 

Another key element to consider is whether the person is doing anything that will directly harm the children. For example, if a parent interferes with the other parent’s access to their children or attempts to arrange extracurricular activities that conflict with the visitation times, this will be considered a violation of the custody agreement. 

When a parent does not comply with the court’s orders, they may be charged with civil or criminal contempt of court. This can be a scary situation, but it is not necessarily something that needs to be taken too seriously. 

What Does a Motion for Contempt and Appearance Do?

A motion for contempt and appearance is the legal paperwork that will ask the court to hold a person in contempt of court. It will include a motion that details the charges and a hearing date that the other party has to attend. 

During the hearing, the party who filed for contempt must present evidence that they believe the other party violated the court’s orders. If they are not sure, then they should speak with a family law attorney before the hearing to make sure that there is enough proof of the other party’s violations. 

If a person does not show up for a hearing, the other party may file an answer with the court to refute their claims and ask the judge to take them off the list of those who are subject to a contempt order. This response should be sent to the other party’s lawyer or to the court before the hearing takes place. 

Once the other person’s attorney receives your response, he will send you an email letting you know if the judge decided to order you into contempt or not. If he does, he will tell you what punishments are possible. 

You can also file a motion to have the judge enforce a previous court order that the other person has not followed. This is usually done when you are not satisfied with the results of a previous hearing and you want to get your case resolved as quickly as possible. 

If you are involved in a custody or visitation dispute, and you are concerned that your ex-spouse is not following your parenting plan, you should contact an experienced Connecticut child custody enforcement attorney. These attorneys are skilled at bringing your child custody issues to an end without having to resort to litigation. They can help you build a strong case and make sure that you receive the fair treatment you deserve from the court.