What is a Counter Petition for Child Custody? 

To respond to a custody petition, you need to follow the correct procedure. You should respond to each paragraph of the petition in a paragraph-by-paragraph fashion. In general, you should respond by either agreeing, disagreeing or stating that you do not know. You may also include a proposed parenting plan and custody schedule, which shows how you would like to share time with your children. This document can be submitted as evidence to the court and must be notarized. 

(Searching for “Missoula attorney“? Visit our website!)

Filing a counter-petition online 

Filing a counter-petition for child custody is similar to filing a petition. However, you need to include more information. In general, you should include a numbered list of reasons why your desired arrangement is better for your children. You may also include a parenting plan or schedule if it is required by the court. Finally, be sure to sign your form in front of a notary public. 

The first step in filing a counter-petition is to fill out the necessary paperwork. You will need to complete the General Form-17, as well as any other forms that may be required by the court. You can use eFileNV if you have an email address. Be sure to upload your forms in separate pdfs to speed up the processing. 

After filling out your forms, you must serve the other parent with your response. Some courts require that you hire a process server to serve the papers, while others will allow you to do it yourself. Make sure to follow the deadlines and make sure to get proof of service. After serving the other parent, you will have a hearing date set. 

Filing a counter-petition in a divorce case 

If you disagree with the other parent’s request for custody, you can file a counter-petition. The other parent will have 21 days to respond. However, you can still get full custody if you do not file a Counter-Petition. 

The counter-petition is a legal complaint filed in response to the original divorce petition. It alleges facts and outlines the Respondent’s own requests. This allows the Respondent to move forward with the case. It also helps ensure that the Petitioner does not “voluntarily dismiss” the counter-petition. 

If you are attempting to change the custody of a child, a counter-petition can help protect your interests. The other party cannot dismiss a counter-petition without agreement from both parties. However, if the counter-petition is not dismissed, you can still try mediation to try to come to an agreement.