What Papers Do I Need to File For Child Custody? 

There are several steps you need to follow in order to file a court case for custody of your children. You need to get the paperwork in order, serve the other parent, and then you need to be ready for a hearing. If you are going through this process on your own, you might want to talk to an attorney first to make sure you are on the right track. 

(Searching in Google “Top Family Law Attorney“? Contact us today!)

The first thing you should do is find out what papers you need to file for child custody. A quick search on the Internet will give you a list of the forms you need. Some of these are free to download and print at home, while others will require you to visit a local courthouse. In some cases, you may even be able to complete the forms online. 

The best way to find out what papers you need to file for custody is to look at your state’s statutes and rules. Some counties have specific requirements for forms and parenting plans. However, these can vary from county to county. 

What papers you need to file for child custody will be different for each case. For example, in a joint physical custody situation, you might not need a schedule. On the other hand, in a primary placement arrangement, you will likely need to ask the judge for permission to move. 

While you’re at the clerk’s office, you may also be asked to fill out a proof of service form. This document is actually a formal notice to the other party that you have filed your documents. Usually, you will receive a date and time frame for when you must provide this information. Depending on your particular situation, you may be asked to meet with the other party or the other party may simply pick up your paperwork. 

You should also take note of the other parents’ reaction to your filings. They may need time to gather the necessary information before they can make a judgment on the matter. Typically, courts allow three to four weeks for this to happen. Make sure you give the other party time to respond and that you are respectful. 

The best way to find out what paperwork you need to file for child custody is to consult an experienced family law attorney. He or she can answer your questions and help you through the entire process. Also, you might be able to get your fees waived. 

The court may even assign you an attorney if you are unable to afford one. Your lawyer can help you understand what papers you need to file for child custody and give you the best advice about which steps to take next. 

Choosing the right legal advisor can help you avoid expensive mistakes. Your lawyer can also help you make the most of the available resources. Many counties have legal aid offices where you can get the forms you need. Alternatively, you can go straight to the courthouse if you are a pro se litigant.