What Should I Ask For in a Child Custody Agreement? 

Whether you’re getting a custody arrangement for your children or drafting your own agreement, it’s important to have realistic expectations and ask the right questions of a lawyer. After all, determining custody can be a very emotional time for everyone involved. If you want to see your child only every other weekend, for example, you’ll likely have a tough time gaining sole custody. If you want the other parent to see your child regularly, you should also ask for visitation rights. 

(Searching for “Missoula attorney“? Visit our website!)

Questions to ask a lawyer before drafting a child custody agreement 

If you’re drafting a child custody agreement, there are several questions to ask a lawyer before you start writing. It’s important to have a clear definition of who will have legal and physical custody of the children. Legal custody refers to the right to make decisions for the child, while physical custody focuses on the daily care and upbringing of the child. The agreement should include details such as the parenting time schedule, drop-offs and pick-ups, and important decisions like religion, education, and extracurricular activities. The agreement should also include a clause stating how much time each parent will have with the child during holidays. 

When you’re filing for divorce, it’s important to remember that the child custody issue is one of the most contentious issues, but it doesn’t have to be difficult to resolve. The right lawyer can help you navigate the process and help you fight for your rights in court. 

Specifying holidays in a child custody agreement 

Specifying holidays in a child custody arrangement is an option that can help make it easier for the child to get the time that they need during the holidays. Most court-approved child custody agreements will specify the visitation schedule for all days, including holidays. A typical schedule follows one of the following formats: 

In most cases, the holidays will be single-day events, meaning that one parent will have the children on one day and the other will have them on the next. This arrangement can work well if the parents can’t agree on a specific time. For example, the other parent might want the children to spend every other weekend with the other parent. That way, the child is spending the same amount of time with each parent during the holidays, and they can share the child’s holiday events with them. 

Changing the last name of a child after a divorce 

If you want to change a child’s name after a divorce, you will need to file a petition with the court. This form asks for the child’s current name, new name, and reason for the name change. Parents can request the change of up to two children’s names. However, the other parent must agree to the name change and sign the form in front of a notary. If the other parent doesn’t agree, you must fill out a separate form. 

Parents may change the child’s last name after a divorce if it benefits the child’s well-being. However, it is important to remember that changing a child’s name can be confusing and cause unnecessary emotional distress for the child. In California, for example, a mother must give notice to the father of the change of the last name. If she cannot show that the father received the notice, the court will not consider the name change request. The father has the right to contest the name change request. 

Requesting unrestricted access to the other parent 

Generally, access to the other parent is a right granted by the court. While it does not give the parents the power to make decisions, parents with access have the right to communicate with the other parent and learn about their child’s health and education. In some cases, this right may also extend to grandparents. A child has a right to visit either parent as often as they like, and the parent with custody cannot deny access to the child for a variety of reasons, such as bad feelings or failure to pay child support.