What to Bring To Request Judgment

The process of divorce is a complicated one, and it requires careful planning. It can also be a very emotional experience, so it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side. 

(Searching for “lawyers in Missoula“? Visit our website!)

A divorce lawyer can help you through every stage of the process. They can assist you in filing for divorce, negotiating the terms of the divorce, and settling your case in order to ensure that the best interests of your family are protected. 

When you want to file for divorce, you must first serve your spouse with a Summons With Notice or a Summons and Verified Complaint. This is a written legal notice of your divorce action and can be delivered by your divorce lawyer or someone else on your behalf. 

In addition, you must provide proof that your spouse has been served by providing an Affidavit of Service. The Affidavit must be filed with the court within 120 days after your Summons With Notice or Summons and Verified Complaint has been delivered to your spouse. 

Divorce is different from other states, and it’s important to know your options. There are several types of divorces, including: 

No-Fault Divorce – You have lived apart for at least one year and you have fully complied with the terms of a separation agreement or judgment of legal separation. You cannot ask for a no-fault divorce if you’ve been married for less than six months, or if your marriage is based on cruelty and inhuman treatment. 

Contested Divorce – You haven’t been able to agree on the terms of your divorce, and you’re seeking to have a judge decide these issues for you. A contested divorce is more costly and time-consuming, but it can be a good option if you and your spouse are willing to work hard and negotiate your way through the process. 

Modifying the Divorce Decree – You can ask the court to change the terms of your divorce decree if there has been a significant change in circumstances since you and your spouse were divorced. This can include changes in child custody, parenting time, or support payments. 

The process of filing a motion to modify a property settlement, custody, or alimony case will vary from state to state, so it’s important to understand your state’s laws before preparing to file your motion. Most states will have specific forms to complete, so be sure to check with your local state or county courts. 

Relocating for Employment – If you’ve relocated for work or for any other reason, you can ask the court to change a portion of your divorce settlement. This is especially true if you have lost your job, or if you want to make a career change that will affect the amount of money you will need to pay your former spouse in support. 

Hiring a divorce attorney can make the process of modifying your divorce settlement easier and more successful.