What to Do When the Attorney at Law assigned at Family Court Does Not Responsibly Show?

When it comes to family court, it’s not always the first thing on your mind. However, there are a number of reasons you might want to file for custody. This includes if you have children and the other parent is a no-show. You can also use the legal system to get a leg up on the other party when it comes to medical insurance, support, or schooling for your kids. If you are in the market for a lawyer, consider the King County Bar Association or the Northwest Justice Project. These organizations provide free resources and referrals. 

(Searching in Google “Family Legal Attorney“? Contact us today!)

The most obvious reason to file for custody is if you have children. There are several options for obtaining legal custody, including the following: filing a motion for custody, pleading for visitation, or filing for modification of an existing order. Fortunately, you don’t have to file for one of these in person. As long as you have the other party’s contact information, you can reach them by telephone and attend the hearings by videoconference. For instance, if you are the parent who is requesting a change in parenting time, you can file a motion for temporary orders before you even file for a formal order. In addition, your lawyer can make the paperwork as easy as possible. 

While you’re at it, you might want to check out the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS), which can assist you with medical insurance, support, and establishing an existing court order. It’s not a branch of the court, but the agency does have a liaison to report to the court. 

It’s also a good idea to file for a divorce. Not only can you get the judge’s approval, but you will also be able to keep the resulting tax benefits. To ensure that you don’t lose out, though, you need to file for a divorce in a timely manner. Before filing, be sure to read through your Statewide Fee Schedule, which will give you an idea of the costs involved. A fee waiver may be available in your jurisdiction. 

Another reason to file for a divorce is to get a child support award. Whether you are a custodial or non-custodial parent, the DSS can assist you with determining the appropriate amount of financial support for your kids. And if your case is in the DSS’s docket, your children are eligible for the Fee Waiver Program, which will waive your attorney’s fees and any other court-related fees. Having a lawyer to represent you in this type of proceeding can be invaluable. 

Other options include filing for an adoption, getting a restraining order against your ex, or going the route of separation. However, if you are looking for a quick fix, you can also try to settle by mediation. Although mediation can be expensive, it is usually the fastest way to resolve your differences.