Who Claims Child on Taxes With 50/50 Custody? 

The IRS has put rules in place to make tax filing fair for parents who have 50/50 custody. Shared custody can create a situation where one parent gets to claim the child as a dependent. Typically, parents with shared custody will alternate years, claiming the child on odd tax years and one parent on even tax years. They can also agree to claim the child on half of their taxes. These shared custody arrangements can be written into a separation agreement. |

(Looking for a Family Law Lawyer? Contact us today!)

Joint custody is the arrangement that matters for tax purposes 

If you’ve recently separated and are wondering whether joint custody will affect your taxes, it’s important to know the rules. The IRS defines the custodial parent as the parent with the higher AGI. Generally, the custodial parent is the parent who has the child the most during the year. However, if you’re filing jointly, you can both claim the child as a dependent. 

When it comes to filing taxes, a parent’s child custody arrangement is an important part of their finances. However, joint custody is only one of many factors that should be considered. One of the most important considerations is the child’s age. If the child is under age seven, he or she will have to be at least two years old before he or she can claim that status. So, if a child is under age 12, joint custody may be a better choice. 

Co-parenting arrangements 

If you have a co-parenting arrangement, you should be aware of how these arrangements affect your taxes. The IRS will only deduct the parent with the highest adjusted gross income (AGI). To be eligible for the deduction, you must have an exact 50/50 split of time with the child. This means the parent with 45 percent of the time must be home more than the other parent. In some cases, the parent with fewer days with the child may be able to deduct the time they spend with their child. 

If you share custody of a child, you may be able to claim the child on your tax return as your own. In that case, you may claim the child in the first year while the other parent claims it in the second. If you have more than one child, you can split the child credits. For example, if you have three children, you may claim one child, the second year to the other, and the third year to yourself. You can also make this arrangement work out in your separation agreement. 

Divorced or unmarried couples working out their arrangements 

Parents who are not married to one another often find it easier to settle their child custody issues outside of court. A court will generally award the mother sole physical custody, but a father can request joint custody or change it. The best way to settle child custody issues out of court is to reach an agreement between the parents. Most states require divorcing couples to try to work out an agreement before going to court. 

While working out an agreement can be difficult, it is one of the best gifts you can give your children. It is important to understand that your relationship with your ex-spouse will affect their children, so it’s important to try to maintain a civil relationship. If you’re not able to reach an agreement between the two of you, a professional attorney can help you reach a compromise. If you’re unable to reach an agreement without consulting a lawyer, consider mediation, counseling, or therapy.