What Are Service Instructions For Family Law? 

If you are trying to file a case in family law, you will likely be asked to submit some kind of service instructions. The instructions will include some information on how to properly serve the other party, what to do if the other party does not respond, and how much it will cost. There are also some options available to you, such as e-filing and filing Ex Parte via the clerk. The following are some tips to help you with service instructions. 


(Want to know more? Just visit our website! familylawmissoula.com)



Family Court personnel cannot tell you what to say or how to testify in court. You must obtain legal advice from an attorney and understand your legal rights. Any information provided to Family Court personnel becomes public information, and they have no confidential relationship with you. Using the Family Court’s services is a mistake. Read these Guidelines before filing a lawsuit. If you are not sure how to file your complaint, ask a family law attorney. 


Most California courts do not require fees to begin a family law case. The filing fee is not necessary for family law cases unless you initiate the case yourself. The other fees associated with a family law case are the service fee and the witness fee. A service fee is an amount you pay the sheriff to deliver the papers, and a witness fee is money you pay a witness to testify at trial. There are a few exceptions to the above rule, however. 

The Best Interest Attorney fee is determined by the Court. Payments are sent to the Clerk of Court and are kept in the Registry until a final Order is issued. This attorney may participate in visitation, child support, or custody hearing. He or she may issue subpoenas or call witnesses when necessary. The Best Interest Attorney fee is $145 an hour, and cannot exceed $1450 unless further order is issued by the Court. 

Proof of service 

The court requires that someone who delivers legal papers to a person who is not a party sign an affidavit of service. This form is not required to be notarized. The court also has packets of instructions and forms available for public download. If you are unable to serve a person in person, you can use alternative methods, including email, social media, texting, and mail. It is essential to follow the order of the judge in these situations. 

The person who served papers must sign an affidavit of service, which must be signed and filed with the court. This form does not require notarization, but it must be legible and clearly state the dates on which the papers were mailed. Attach a certified mail slip or a return receipt to the form. The affidavit of service can be completed in person or printed and filed. 

Filing options 

If you have children, you might be wondering about your filing options for family law. In some cases, the court can help you reach a decision, but if you and your spouse are unable to agree, you can go to court to get what you want. Often, the children are too young to fully understand what is happening. A lawyer can help you with the details. Here are some tips. If you are unsure how to proceed, seek the advice of a family law attorney. 

If you need to file papers for family law, you will need to go to the courthouse in your county. Most counties have more than one courthouse. Most of them have a clerk’s office that specializes in family law. Keep in mind that most courthouses don’t operate during regular business hours, so you may have to wait until the next day. Plus, staff at these courthouses is limited. If you can’t wait until the next business day, you should go to your county courthouse instead.