What Happens After a Divorce Attorney Serves Me With a Complaint? 

When a divorce attorney serves you with a complaint, you may be unsure of what to do next. It is possible to accept the complaint without filing a response. However, if you disagree with the divorce complaint, you should file a response. A lawyer will help you navigate the process. Check Lawyers and Legal Help for information on hiring a lawyer and getting free or low-cost legal assistance. 

(Searching for “Stephanie DeBoer Family Lawyer“? Visit our website!)

Retaining an attorney 

The process of divorce can be complex and costly, but retaining an attorney can help ensure that your settlement is fair and just. Divorce attorneys help you negotiate property and debt division, parenting time schedules, and bank and retirement accounts. They can also prepare the documents you will need for the divorce. An attorney specializing in uncontested divorces can also save you money because they spend less time in court and chasing paperwork. 

When you retain an attorney, it’s important to know what kind of fee you’ll be charged. Some attorneys charge by the hour or by the day. Hourly rates typically include time spent on answering questions, traveling to court, meeting paralegals, and talking on the phone. You should also consider whether the attorney charges a minimum fee for their services. Some charge a higher rate for time spent in court. 

Filing a Financial Disclosure Form 

Filing a Financial Disclosure Form after divorce is an important part of a divorce. It is a legal requirement that each party provide a complete list of their assets and debts. Filing a Financial Disclosure Form after divorce is important because the court can use this information to determine which assets belong to which party. Filing this form accurately is important, so a Milwaukee divorce attorney should be consulted for help. 

In order to get the divorce process started, you will need to provide certain documents to your divorce attorney. Typically, you will need to provide your last few years of tax returns, bank statements, and recent financial account statements. If your spouse is unwilling to provide you with this information, you can send a formal request for this information. This formal request, called an Interrogatories, requires both parties to answer the questions and state their legal objections. 

Responding to allegations 

The first step in defending yourself from divorce allegations is to issue a legal response. This response must be detailed and depict the part of the issues you disagree with. For example, if you disagree with the filing spouse’s claim to sole custody of the children, you must state that you support joint custody. You can also use pre-printed answer forms with a “denied” box. 

Setting aside default divorce judgments 

If you’ve been served with a default divorce judgment, you may want to consider setting it aside. There are many reasons for doing so. One common reason is that the divorce judgment was obtained through a fraud or wrongful act. Fraud involves the misrepresentation of facts that could have influenced the decision. A set aside motion is necessary if you want to reverse the judgment. 

For example, if you never received divorce papers, or your spouse deliberately avoided service, you may be able to ask the court to set aside the default divorce judgment. A judge shouldn’t grant a divorce unless the spouse took reasonable efforts to find the other party. Additionally, a judge can reverse a default judgment if it was issued because of a mistake, excusable neglect, or surprise.