How to Get a Court Order For Child Custody?

If you need to get a court order for child custody immediately, you can file a motion for temporary orders. This is a type of motion that allows you to request temporary custody, a parenting schedule, and child support before the court can decide what your final judgment should be. You can file the motion at the same time as your complaint or after the final judgment is made. 

(Are you looking for a Family Law Attorney? Contact us Today! Click here: DeBoer Lawyers Office)

Parent’s best interests 

In determining the best interests of a child, the court looks at many factors. The primary consideration is the safety of the child. The court will also consider the caregiver’s capacity to parent and the child’s circumstances. Experts can testify about the relationship between the parents and the child to help the court make the right decision. The court may also use the opinions of a parenting evaluator or Guardian ad Litem. 

The court will also consider the child’s preference. The older the child, the more weight will be given to the child’s opinion. The court will also consider if the child has other family members who are close to the child. 

Residency requirements 

If you want to file for child custody in California, there are residency requirements. Generally, the child must have lived in the state for six months before the start of the proceeding. This is known as the home state rule. However, this requirement can be waived in certain circumstances. For example, if a child lives in another state with one parent, the parent may be able to waive this requirement. 

Getting a court order for child custody in California is relatively straightforward, as long as you know the rules. First, make sure that you are present in the state where the child lives. This is also referred to as “domicile.” To qualify for a court order, you must own a brick-and-mortar home in the state. Additionally, you must intend to stay in that state for the requisite length of time. Although a person may have multiple residences, only one of them is a true domicile. 

Temporary orders 

There are several reasons why you may need to obtain temporary court orders for child custody, including financial concerns. After all, most families cannot support two households. Obtaining temporary orders is best done through an agreement between you and your spouse. These temporary orders will then be submitted to a judge to be adopted and become official court orders. 

During a temporary court order hearing, you and your partner will need to explain the circumstances that led to your application. For example, if your child has been taken away from your home by a parent, you may be entitled to emergency interim relief. You can also request the court to require the other parent to produce the child, if possible. While this is not recommended, it can be done if the two parents cannot agree on a parenting plan and are willing to cooperate with the judge. 


Modifications to a court order for custody and visitation of a child can be necessary when the child’s circumstances change. For example, a parent may have a substance abuse problem, or a change in work hours may prevent him or her from seeing his or her child regularly. Another reason for modifying a custody and visitation order is if a child is in danger of abuse or neglect. 

To be considered for a modification, a parent must demonstrate a substantial change in the child’s circumstances. Besides assessing the impact on the child’s life, the court must also consider other factors. If the situation is urgent, the parent may request an expedited hearing. In the meantime, a parent must follow the most recent court order while waiting for the hearing. The hearing is an opportunity for both parents to present evidence. Reports from evaluations and the child’s preferences are also important considerations. 


Mediation is a way to reach an agreement without having to go through the court system. Although it can be stressful, it is best to go into it with an open mind. Your spouse may have a different point of view than you do. You may even get a new perspective on parenting after speaking with the mediator. He or she may also make suggestions about how to divide custody, parenting time, and even substance abuse. 

The mediator will present a report to the family law judge and make recommendations that serve the child’s best interests. Parents have time to read the mediator’s report, and they can object to it if they aren’t satisfied. The report will contain a factual background, arguments made by each parent, and recommendations.